Saturday, January 3, 2015

Circus Girl

She sat on the edge of the bed
Legs crossed
Tiny top foot tapping
To some imaginary beat
Eyes sparkling like a new
April morning
Tiny as they come
She spoke of all their fun

He was her lovely vagabond
Travelling in the circus
He asked her to dance
That's how it started
Their trance
She took a chance
Ran away
That very day

She giggled to herself
As she took her
Dusty heart off the shelf
Suddenly her wrinkles disappeared
And the young woman
She once was
Appeared

It was in the Depression
But her story was remiss of oppression
She started each Big Top
Dancing her bee-bop
Her clown not far behind
Her heart set on rewind
Remembering
Reminiscing
Their lovely love kissing

He died in the eighties
She sat on the bed
Amidst all her frailties
A tear sparkling her eye
But she did not cry
Too lovely the memories



1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this Kendra! Quite a story and beautifully written! :o)

    I was wondering if I could publish your lovely poem in the next issue of a free online literary magazine of mine?

    It's a new website and only has two issues published at the moment, but it's received a lot of attention and Facebook/Twitter and is doing well on WordPress now. I'm hoping it will build a good readership quite quickly. It's free for anyone to read and the aim is primarily to help promote writers on websites and blogs from all over the internet. https://thewritinggarden.wordpress.com/

    The copyright remains with the writer and I always include a link back to where the work was originally published and also any other social media links you'd like me to include (please let me know which ones - if you have any).

    If you would be interested in allowing me to publish your work please check out the magazine and let me know. But if you'd rather not, don't hesitate to say no, I really won't mind.
    Suzy :o)

    By the way - Vanessa Peterson very kindly recommended your blog to me through Twitter.

    ReplyDelete